Here we are trying to specifically state the expected data output per day by a data collector. A scholar is expected to work for at least 5 hours per day for this assignment.
Approved Data Collectors will receive travel support and daily honorarium for data collection.
For collecting frequency of ICM Concerts in Kolkata data will be collected from the published advertisements and announcements in local news papers, e.g. Anana Bazar Patrika, auditorium records, poster collections and others.
Data collection from newspaper announcements [Data Collection Completed. Basis: Ananda Bazar Patrika. Archive source: National Library, Kolkata]
Three data collectors, Ph.D. scholars of the department, are currently collecting announcement data from Ananda Bazar Patrika. The current data collection plan is to consult the news papers of 240 weeks, 24 weeks per year split in three four seasons. So, the target is to collect data of 10 years split in five decades with an in between gap of five years. This will give us 20% data as sample data.
- 1960 to 1969 : any two years, e.g. 1963 – 1968
- 1970 to 1979: any two years, e.g. 1972 and 1977
- 1980 to 1989 : any two years, e.g. 1983 and 1988
- 1990 to 1999: any two years, e.g. 1991 and 1996
- 2000 to 2015 : any two years, e.g. 2000 and 2005
The data will be collected for the following months:
- Spring: February, March
- Winter: December and January
- Summer: May
- Monsoon : July
Time and Work
A scholar is expected to complete consulting news papers of 4 to 5 weeks of ABP and enter the obtained data in excel sheet per day.
Engaged data collectors for news paper announcements
- Sutapa Chaudhury, PhD scholar, DoIM, RBU
- Paramita Chattacherjee, PhD scholar, DoIM, RBU
- Soumen Chakraborty, PhD scholar, DoIM, RBU
As per current plan this team will work under the ‘Data in the Newspapers [DIN]’ assignment in the National Library, Kolkata till the end of June 2015.